Silsbee firefighters arrive at a home on the 800 block of Durdin to battle a kitchen fire that was sparked by grease. -Photo by Daniel Elizondo
Utility crews working on vegetation around power lines may have saved a woman’s life in Silsbee on Friday.
Silsbee fire department was called to a possible house fire at the 800 block of Durdin on Friday at 10:50 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, an elderly woman had been pulled from a house that was spewing smoke from the doors and windows.
According to Entergy’s vegatation department, ABC Professional Tree Service crew members were working behind a residence at 855 Durdin Road when they heard a loud “boom” coming from a nearby home.
After discovering that it came from the house at 830 Durdin, three crew members walked up to the home and heard screaming and crying from within.
Crew’s called 911 and immediately entered the home, pulling out an elderly woman, who had been lying on the kitchen floor burned and bleeding. The woman was pulled to safety along with her dog.
But the woman began yelling, “my baby is still in there.” The crew member re-entered the home and rescued a second dog.
Silsbee firefighters arrived in minutes to contain the small blaze. According to Asst. Fire Chief Jay Hinkie, the woman, identified as Donna Crawford, was cooking when a grease fire started. Crawford then doused the fire with water, causing the fire to burst.
She suffered minor burns to her face along with some minor bumps and bruises. Crawford was taken to a Beaumont hospital where she was treated for minor injuries. No word on whether she was released.
ABC Tree Service crew members that saved the woman’s life were Thomas Gonzales, Luis Gallardo and Juan Barajas of Houston.
The home suffered heavy smoke damage in the kitchen.