Schools consolidated

News Staff's picture

In 1955, the Honey Island Colored School was consolidated with Carver which increased the enrollment.

The assembly building was converted into two classrooms. Laura Johnson, who was principal at the Honey Island school, joined the Carver staff, while Mary E. Coleman and Eliza L. Fletcher was hired at the  elementary school.

Construction began on a new gym where the students would play indoor basketball and hold their tournament. The school changed the mascot from Eagles to Pirates.

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://etypeservices.com/The%20Silsbee%20BeeID163/

Rate this article: 
No votes yet