Woman charged in death of child released on bond

News Staff's picture
By Daniel Elizondo
A Kountze woman was released from the Hardin County jail on Tuesday after posting $250,000 through Al Reed Bonding on a $1.5 million bond, stemming from a child abuse case in 2011, according to sources in the Hardin County jail.

Amanda Nicole Guidry and her boyfriend Jason Wade Delacerda were arrested after Guidry’s child, Breonna Nichole Loftin, 4, was hospitalized and later died from head trauma.

Loftin died at Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital at 12 a.m. on Aug. 17, and the death was ruled homicide with the report listing cause of death by blunt force trauma to the head.

Hardin County Sheriff’s investigators made preliminary charges of felony injury to a child with serious bodily injury on Guidry and Delacerda.

Since, Guidry’s charges have been upgraded to capital murder person under age 6.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Delacerda allegedly admitted to the injuries to Loftin and Guidry allegedly admitted to the knowledge of the abuse.

The child lived with Guidry and Delacerda in a trailer park off of U.S. 69 near Kountze. Reportedly, Delacerda was the baby’s caregiver while her mother worked at a Lumberton convenience store. He is not the father of Loftin.

Initial reports show that Delacerda called 911 on the evening of Aug. 16, and an ambulance took the child to the hospital. Emergency medical personnel contacted the Hardin County Sheriff’s Office and Child Protective Services after recognizing signs of abuse.

After an autopsy, authorities revealed that the abuse had been on-going for several months.

According to reports, Loftin suffered from several severe injuries all over her body including bone fractures, bruises, abrasions and burns. Autopsy reports also found the child to be malnourished.

Hardin County 356th District Judge Steve Thomas set a $1.5 million bond on Guidry on Aug. 19, 2011. On Aug. 30, Guidry was indicted on charges of injury to a child with serious bodily injury. Bond on Delacerda was set at $2 million.

Hardin County DA continues to wait on tests from the State of Texas for evidence in the case.

Hardin County Sheriff Ed Cain declared it was the worst case of abuse he has seen.


Rate this article: 
Average: 5 (1 vote)